Ferris and friends, based in Canberra Australia flag, blog about the cars and games that inspire them most.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Battlefield 1943: failed to connect to EA online - solution!


If you too have been experiencing the error message failed to connect to EA online" in Battlefield 1943, don't fear- there is a solution! After many days of frustration at not being able to connect to 'EA online' to play Battlefield 1943 on my Xbox 360, I can now join online games with 100% success rate. How did I do it? Well, thanks to EA's customer support, and various internet posts, I have somehow stumbled upon the magic formula. Firstly, go to ea.com and create an account. Next, link your Xbox gamertag to the EA account (by adding a persona). This should have been simple, but somehow I entered an infinite loop of adding my persona, receiving an email from EA, clicking to confirm, and then entering my persona again. Repeat ad infinitum. Emailing EA solved the problem, with a friendly customer service representative manually linking my gamertag to my EA account. OK, still with me? If this hasn't solved your problem, then the next and final step is to download the Fight Night 4 demo. Yes, that's right, you need to download a demo for a totally unrelated game just so you can play Battlefield 1943. No point in arguing, as it's the only way I managed to solve my connection problem. Download the demo, skip the training, and then try and connect to EA via the game interface. Once you have accepted all the relevant disclaimers and managed to get online, exit the game and load up Battlefield 1943. Surprise, surprise, it now works! Good 'ol EA. You know, I never had this trouble playing COD4 online...

If this has been of assistance to you, please leave a comment. Oh, and feel free to click on one of my sponsor's messages... the GTI is gonna need new tyres real soon! ;)
PS. I should mention that during this process I also tried the 'change your Xbox 360 clock to 2005' trick as suggested by EA- it didn't make any difference for me at all.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock dude! Yeah the Fight Night Download did the trick!!!!

Ferris GTI said...

Haha, thanks, and glad to hear you got it working!

Anonymous said...

Tried the clock trick - Didn't work
Tried downloading Fight Night: Round 4 - It kept on freezing my Xbox 360 at the main splash screen until I figured out that if I unplug my internet and try playing the demo, it doesn't freeze my system. I completed the training, logged into the EA account, tried playing BF: 1943, and it still didn't work. Funny thing is, I downloaded the demo before buying, and I was able to play multiple matches without problem. Once I bought the game, I was able to play ONE round, and after that, the "Could not connect to EA Online" error indefinitely kept on popping up. Ugh... just wanted to say nothing has worked... yet.

Ferris GTI said...

Thanks for leaving a comment, and sorry to hear you are having so many problems. You know, I figured EA must have fixed the BF1943 issue as hits to this page have dropped off markedly over the past few days, after going through the roof when I first posted the article. Anyway, I feel your pain...!

Jono H said...

I'm about to try this on PS3, will it still work do you think? You'll soon find out whether I've been successful...

Dave said...

I clicked on one of your links Ferris - it was an add for Tales of Monkey Island.

Anonymous said...

FNR4 worked great. Thanks a bunch.

-SilentSpartan.

Anonymous said...

i couldnt even sign into ea with fight night.

Ferris GTI said...

Did you create an account @ ea.com?

Anonymous said...

Dude, any idea on what the **** I can do if I can't pre-purchase the same bloody (well not really, coz there is no blood) on the EA store?

Unknown said...

I'm sending an email to EA now. I spoke with their "live chat" which was pure crap... The idiot wasn't reading what I was saying and giving me generic instructions like "clear your cache"...good one.

Considering the size and scope of the company, EA should do a better job. Why wouldn't they just design their PS3 ports to use your PSN ID? My dad's 60+ and he's expected to go through these insane loops just to play a game he bought? Fuck EA and anyone else making games a technical nightmare just to get past the main menu. Crazy...

Anonymous said...

Uh. Fight Night 4 doesnt have a demo now....so how i fix?

Anonymous said...

how do I fix my bf1943 now after there is no demo to fight night round 4 is there another game?!